Skip to main content

Gifts for Growth



Why do we suffer? What is the meaning of our pain? These are tough questions, and for many of us, it feels like there aren't answers.

I went to church at King's University College this past Sunday and one part of the homily really stuck out to me. He said that he wants to write a book titled, "Gifts That Suck", since so many of the bad things that happen in life seem to be the path that lead us to know God more, understand ourselves, and bring us closer to others. I really thought about this is my own life, and I realized that this is true for me as well. There are times when it feels like everything is going wrong, you know? Like when you get a bad mark on a test that you studied hard for, and your friends aren't being supportive of you, and when you finish the show you have been binge watching on Netflix. Some things are easier to get over than others. But let me tell you this: I had a really hard time in my first year of university. I didn't really know how to study properly and I really missed being at home. I thought that I wanted to drop out of school and move back home. In the moment, it didn't feel like I was learning a life lesson. But when I look back now, I see that God was showing me something important. I got the hang of things by second year, and the rest of my time in university was enjoyable. I made some great friends along the way that helped me through things, and helped me see what God had in store for me. This was one of those gifts that sucked. What was a time in your life where a hard time taught you a great lesson, brought you closer to God, or strengthened your relationships with others?


Comments

  1. Gifts that suck. Good thought. I find that times I am sick often teach me about slowing down and reflecting on what I am doing -- usually too much of!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment